The department of Dermatology, Venereology
and Leprosy was established as a part of Pondicherry
Institute of Medical Sciences (A Unit of Madras Medical
Mission) in March 2002. The undergraduate course started
in 2002 and post-graduate course (MD-DVL) in 2008. We
offer outpatient as well as inpatient services. We treat
all types of skin disorders including sexually
transmitted diseases and leprosy. Our facilities include
all basic dermatological investigations and procedures.
In addition we also offer cosmetology consultations and
Our faculty have a number of
publications in national and international journals
- Diagnosis and treatment of infectious and
non-infectious diseases of skin, hair and nail
- Diagnosis and management of skin disorders more
commonly seen in individuals of Caucasian descent.
- Personalised care and counseling.
- Special clinics offered by us - psoriasis,
auto-immune disorders, pigmentary disorders
including vitiligo , bullous disorders, contact
dermatitis, Leprosy and STD.
- Diagnostic procedures like patch testing, light
microscopy for infectious and non-infectious
conditions, dermoscopy, skin biopsy, direct and
indirect immunofluorescence including antigen
facilities like PUVA, Narrow band UVB phototherapy,
electro cautery, radiofrequency and cryotherapy.
- Iontophoresis for treatment of excessive
sweating of palms and soles.
- Specialised surgical procedures like vitiligo
surgeries, platelet rich plasma (PRP) therapy for
hair loss , dermaroller for acne scars,
microdermabrasion [skin polishing]
- IPL and LASER procedures for excessive facial
hair, acne scars, tattoo removal and various benign